Sometimes known as Hampstead Park, Albert College Park was once the grounds of Hampstead House. The house was named after Hampstead Heath in London as both lie on high ground and have sweeping views of the city.
In 1838, The Glasnevin Institution for agricultural teaching was established on the site. After a visit from Prince Albert in 1853, it was renamed Albert College.
By 1900, Albert College was a national centre of excellence for agricultural training. Cuilίn House, which was the residence of the college’s director stands to this day. In 1927, Professor Paul A. Murphy put the college on the world map when he discovered the cause of the potato famine – the potato blight fungus.